Wednesday, November 16, 2011

moms are the best medicine

Being sick the last couple days i remember when I was a child and just laying on mom's lap and letting her rub my hair helped me to feel better. I don't remember rushing to the doctor much. I remember the bottle of green medicine we had to take for belly aches that was horrid that seemed to never leave the cupboard.I remember the over the counter little yellow allergy pills. And very rarely we would get an antibiotic. Those were the good days because it tasted so much better than anything in mom's cupboard and was cold on a sore throat. Mostly I remember staying in bed all day, room temperature broth and jello water(my favorite). We would wear an inch of vicks vapo rub with one of dads sweat socks pinned around our neck. Vaporizers in our room and mom filling the humidifier running in the hall. 7up for colds or Ginger Ale for for upset stomachs. Mom would also chop up cough drops in little pieces so we wouldn't choke on them. It meant we were getting better if we could progress to oatmeal or eggs and toast. I don't remember being sick that much, but it never seemed like a burden for mom when we were. She read us stories or colored with us, or would make us a bed on the couch if we wanted to watch a special show on tv. She just took care of us. Alot of nights she would sleep sitting beside our bed or laying at the foot of our bed.Dad worked second shift but she would always leave notes for him on the counter with how we were doing. I know I don't have the patience of my mother, but I would like to think I have just a bit of her gentle touch when caring for my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment